Breaking into the beauty industry isn't exactly the easiest task, but it doesn't have to be super tough if you're willing to put in the work. Recently, I had the opportunity to speak with a professional makeup guru, who has worked with an array of clients, even in particular, of my favorite famous faces. Meet Maria Caraballos, a self taught, amazing makeup artist that was willing to dish tips, product advice, and a glance into her daily professional life for us here at ALL THE RAGE. 



On her start as a makeup artist:


 I have been doing makeup on my friends and family for about 12 years. I was nowhere near good but it was something I was really interested in. October 2012 was when I decided to make the first step into what I call now my profession. I started offering free makeup applications as long as they allowed me to take before and after pictures and post them on social media sites; they also had to agree to let me do whatever look I desired. Doing so helped me create my portfolio, which I needed in order to apply at Mac. My friend Oscar got me the interview with Mac, and with my talent, I got the position as a freelancer. I started working at Mac in December 2012, and that’s when I feel my career really began in the beauty world.


On whether formal education is needed: 

 

I am a self-taught makeup artist. I have not taken any courses or lessons from anyone or any school. I believe if you have the passion and/or the talent, then there is no need to pay thousands of dollars to become something that is God given and ordained. To be a makeup artist, you do not need a specific license like hairstylist do, however, being self-taught can cause issues, as well. For instance, at a beauty school, they will teach you how to correctly sanitize your makeup tools, brushes, and makeup prior to a makeup application. Some self-taught mua do not know how to properly sanitize their items, which can cause some serious infections. That’s when Mac steps in, being a freelancer there, I was able to learn and make it a habit to clean and sanitize all my tools, before and after the application.


On the essentials to building a kit:

 

When I first started my kit, my main priority was to have foundations to match any skin tone. Then, I invested in brushes. You can have expensive makeup but if you re not using the right brushes or good brushes, it will just not work for you. Another important item that is a must have is different eyebrow pencil/powder shades. Now a days, eyebrows are an epidemic. You cannot use the same eyebrow shade on a blonde haired girl and expect it to look good on a girl who has black hair. I also bought a lot of eyeshadows to compliment any skin tone. After that, Ipurchased what ever else was needed.

 


 What are the beauty trends for Spring 2014?

 

 SKIN!!!!!! Skin is in, my friend. Dewy,glowy skin is what you will be catching celebrities wearing. Au Naturale is another trend. Apply some tinted moisturizer or BB cream, a little bit of mascara, light eyebrows with a tintedlipgloss and call it a day. For something more bold. Orange and coral is always a safe color to use during the spring. Apply a high moisturizing foundation that will give you that dewy skin, apply highlighter on cheekbones and cheeks to give you that glow and add a bold orange lip.






On the one item in her kit that's irreplaceable:

 

Tough question, I feel like I have a lot of prized possessions in my kit, but the most would probably be my highlight and contour kit from Anastasia Beverly hills. No matter what skin tone or skin type you have, I can use that kit on you and make it look like it was made just for you.




Do you have a signature style?

 

A cat eye, for sure. I am already known for that pointy eyeliner. I feel as if I look tired without it. No matter what technique I use on my eyes, I always have to have my cat eyeliner.



 

What's the most sought out look that your clients request?

 

OMG! Yes!! If I had a penny for every time a client showed me a picture of Kim Kardashian, I would be a millionaire. Its either the smokey eye like her or the natural neutral colors like her. Either way, it is always a picture of her. Which I don’t blame them, her makeup is always on point.


You've been responsible for some of Evelyn Lozada's most stunning looks, do you have a go-to method when working with her?

 

Working with Evelyn Lozada has been amazing. For starters, she has the best features and amazing skin. It is definitely not hard to make her pretty. But that woman loves her some glitter and a b*t**ed out eyeliner, as she would say. But also, it really depends on what the shoot is for, if it is an outside interview and its during the day, we keep it simple and cute. I always judge off of what the shoot is for.




Evelyn's skin is always flawless and glowing, any secrets to share?

 

I use a mixture of Vida Lux Cosmetics, which is her cosmetics line; and I alsouse some Mac products. On her skin, I use Mac “Matchmaster” foundation, which helps absorb the oils throughout the day, for the glowy look, I use Macs Highlighter in “soft and gentle” and I apply that on all the areas of her face where the light hits to create that glow. I use all of her eyeshadows, blushes, lipsticks and lipglosses




Any last words for budding artists?

 

Yes, I do. I know it sounds so cliché but,honestly, don’t give up. Watch youtubevideos, practice on yourself first, like, all the time, then once you get the hang of the technique, practice on others who have different features than you. Keep at it; if it’s your passion to become a makeup artist then don’t stop until you feel accomplished. But, always remember BE YOUR OWN BIGGEST FAN!