There's so much talk about natural hair gals vs extension loving ladies these days that it's become insane! I decided to to take the time out and speak with one of my favorite naturalista beauties, Denisha. She is the best of both worlds when it comes to the mane attraction. Read onto learn more about her journey,  the process of going natural, and the best tips to maintain a no relaxer needed lifestyle. 

How long have you been natural? 

It's been two years, and three months now. 





 Did you find the transitioning period tough? 

At times it was very tough. In the beginning it was pretty easy, I could comb through my hair with ease.  Around the 9th and 10th month my natural hair really took over and it became harder to detangle and style. It was at that time that I made the decision to Big Chop once I hit my twelfth month. I couldn't last a full 2 years as planned.



What are your favorite protective styles?

 I love Boxed Braids! They are my favorite because you can wear them in different styles, they last a long time and they're easy to take care of. Plus there isn't any major damage to your natural tresses unless you wear them for more than 8 weeks. 



 On a daily basis, what's your normal hair routine/style? 

Everyday I make sure that I spray my hair with water, apply oils and then a creme. I absolutely love to style my hair, I sometimes find myself wearing several different styles a week. That's not always a great thing, so I make sure that when I do style my hair it's a easy and simple style.



Which products have you found to work better than most on natural hair? 

Well, I can say that with my own hair I find that the cheaper products works just as well as the more pricier hair care products. My staples (and I use these everyday all day) are Eco Gel for my was and goes. Herbal Essence Hello Hydration as my conditioner.  Pantene For Naturals conditioner for detangling and leave-in mixtures and Curls Unleashed Creme is great for added moisture. I'm currently trying out Dark And Lovely's new natural hair care products and so far D&L are good products, not super great but also not a waste of money.



There's so much talk about the actual hair type and curl, what's your type, and does that change the way you care for your coils? 

Yes!!! Most are very confused with the curl chart, even I was scratching my head trying to figure out my curl pattern. I didn't know my actual curl type until about 2 months after I BC'd. I am a 4a/3c nape area. And yes! Knowing my hair type really helped me to know which product worked best with my curls and also helped to cut down with spending money on the wrong hair care products. With a little research and YouTube videos I was able to get the perfect products and daily routines for my hair type.  



When you wear extensions, how do you keep your natural hair protected?

 I wear extensions often so when I do wear them I have the hair sewn in using a net to protect my braided natural hair. I NEVER use hair glue. 


Is there a certain type of liberation that comes with sporting your natural mane? 

Oh yes! There's a sense of freedom when I rock my natural hair, Its like I look in the mirror and I see the real me like "This is Denisha."  I'm comfortable in my skin, I don't worry about how other people view me because I'm confident, I'm strong and I live for me!    I've made the best decision to go natural and STAY natural and I don't